Pages

Thursday 26 December 2013

Moderne

I have always wanted to do this one: the Moderne log cabin blanket. So, christmas and new year present this year from hubby and son was all this yummy cotton yarn. The blankie will be for our new couch, in our new home! And because we celebrate a summer Christmas and New Year in the land down under, the yarn of choice right now is cotton. Our new lounge is going to be a dark brown with some mustardy yellow kind of mixed in it, so the greens and yellow seemed good.

Ravelry link to project

The yarn is from Bendigo Woollen Mills. I think it is the only place in Australia you can buy good stuff at reasonable prices. The yarn goodie shops in Sydney that I know of are all so so so expensive, you would not dream of doing something as large as a blanket with them, unless of course in a moment of madness you go completely decadent and spoil yourself. There is course, Lincraft and Spotlight, but surprisingly, this yarn is so much yummier than anything I've ever bought from these stores.

One thing about new yarn and me is: I have to cast on right away. This is independent of how many other projects I have on my needles at a given moment. So, here is the modest beginning from last afternoon's start.
I love the texture of the good old garter stitch. My grandmother taught me how to knit when I was about 5 or 6, and millions of garter stitches down the road, I still love the way it comes out, and I still have these moments of anticipation pondering about how a particular colour and yarn is going to lend itself to the stitch.

By the way, I started this yesterday in the afternoon, and after some really feverish TV-time mindless knitting in the night, the piece is now considerably bigger than what is seen above. A word on log cabin knitting: I love the almost meditative silence in which this blanket is growing. The exciting part will come when I start to add in the second colour, then the third, then the fourth...

3 comments:

  1. Tumpa...wow lady...you never cease to amaze me! I mean design computation and crochea! Amazing combination! This wooly blog is a great idea but I don't know...do you have a group of friends who are into knitting and stuff? Friends who can match your talent! Just add me in the fans' list. And for the others...I wear a cap knitted by her and my kids have sweaters knitted by her and a baby blanket as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tumpa...wow lady...you never cease to amaze me! I mean design computation and crochea! Amazing combination! This wooly blog is a great idea but I don't know...do you have a group of friends who are into knitting and stuff? Friends who can match your talent! Just add me in the fans' list. And for the others...I wear a cap knitted by her and my kids have sweaters knitted by her and a baby blanket as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ritu :) I have a small group of friends who are into knitting and crocheting, but not many of them around me locally, kind of spread out, and you're right, the group is still pretty small, but let's see :) And your cap is way too old now, time to make something new for you :)

      Delete